The activities carried out by the State Accreditation Service under the Committee are implemented by the Divisions on accreditation of testing and calibration laboratories and certification bodies.
The division of accreditation of testing and calibration laboratories implements accreditation of testing and calibration laboratories operating in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan for technical competence or independence. The division of accreditation of certification bodies deals with agreeing of the activities of the certification bodies that applies and certifies quality management systems and implements accreditation of conformity assessment bodies that certifies products, management systems, personnel and renders inspection services.
170 accredited laboratories are registered in the State Registry at the moment (130 for technical competence, 40 for technical competence and independence). 78 of these laboratories are food products laboratory, 22 oil and chemical, 17 engineering, 12 construction materials, 40 calibration laboratories, and 21 operates in other spheres.
The activities of 7 certification bodies that certify quality management systems have been agreed. Accreditation of 2 certification bodies that certify quality management systems, 1 personnel certification body, 9 certification bodies for certification of similar products and services and 1 body that renders inspection services have been carried out. Competence of 3 organizations on consulting activities in the field of establishing management systems has been approved and granted certificates with registration in AZS National Certification System.
Establishment of the National Accreditation System in Azerbaijan is a new experience and the development in this field is increasing day by day. At the first stage, the State Accreditation Service is formed which is included in the National Certification System and consists of highly qualified personnel carrying out accreditation of certification bodies and testing laboratories.
According to the paragraph 8.25 of the Regulations on "the State Committee for Standardization, Metrology and Patent" approved with the Decree dated August 31, 2009 No. 155 of the President of Azerbaijan Republic, the Committee has the duties of establishing, applying and improving of the National Accreditation System.
The Law “on Accreditation in the field of conformity assessment” shall regulate the assessment of conformity assessment bodies that perform services of testing, calibration, certification (products, management systems, and personnel) and inspection based on the internationally agreed standards of the European and international accreditation organizations and accompanying guidance documents. The purpose of this Law is the provision of granting certificates by the conformity assessment bodies accredited in the Republic of Azerbaijan, mutual recognition of reports on testing and inspection, to reduce or eliminate technical barriers to trade through applying accreditation as much as possible and to adapt the accreditation system of Azerbaijan to the European and international accreditation system.
The main criteria of National Accreditation System established in Azerbaijan are following:
- In order to achieve the necessary reliability of Azerbaijan Accreditation System to gradually provide the accreditation with the necessary processes that will take it to the grade of international recognition;
- To adapt the National Accreditation System to the European and international experience;
- To determine the preconditions and to ensure their implementation with the purpose of signing bilateral and multilateral agreements on mutual recognition and co-operation with the other countries, regional and international organizations;
-To improve the position of Azerbaijani economic entities at national and international markets through building an Accreditation system that will act as a partner for professional users, consumers and suppliers in Azerbaijan and abroad;
- To eliminate the needless barriers to trade, and to avoid repeated inspection, certification, testing and calibration of goods and services;
- To achieve the recognition of competence of accredited conformity assessment bodies rendering services of calibration, testing, certification and inspection on international level and the extension of recognition;
- In order to get recognized on national and international level of accredited conformity assessment bodies for proving their competence to provide with the necessary means;
- In order to meet the needs of all users to increase the reliability and value of calibration, testing, certification and inspection implemented in Azerbaijan;
- In order to support the implementation of technical regulations, reference standards and other technical specifications, to establish the necessary conformity assessment services through the application of Accreditation;
- Cooperation with and establishing and maintenance of mutual recognition of the foreign Accreditation bodies that work in accordance with the same relevant international standards.
At present, adapted to the current legislation, and harmonized international standards and the documents translated into Azerbaijani language and adopted as national standards as well as the documents of the National certification system adopted with the Decree (dated 01.07.93 № 343) of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan" on application of products (works, services) certification by stages" are used for implementing accreditation activity in the National Accreditation System.
The documents registered as state standards from the documents of the National Accreditation System which have been developed according to the relevant scope of activity and the international requirements: AZS 11.1.005-2010 "Certification bodies of quality management system. Requirements and accreditation rules", AZS 11.1.006-2010 "Certification bodies of related products and services. Requirements and accreditation rules, AZS 11.1.007-2010" The Accreditation rules of Personnel certification bodies", AZS ISO 17020-2008" General criteria for the operation of the different inspection bodies".
The documents submitted to examination for registration as a state standard in the National Accreditation System: AZS 11.1.001-2010 "General Provisions", AZS 11.1.003-2010 "Registry. General Provisions."
The set of documents of the National Accreditation System will be developed and implemented according to the relevant scope of activity and the international requirements as determined in the plan.
The following documents shall be submitted for accreditation of the certification bodies (quality, environmental and other management systems), the bodies implementing inspection activity, and testing and calibration laboratories in the National Accreditation System:
- The application for accreditation of the conformity assessment body (testing and calibration laboratory);
- Testing and calibration laboratory passport;
- Regulations of conformity assessment body (testing and calibration laboratory);
- Quality manual of conformity assessment body (testing and calibration laboratory);
- Documents of the scope of accreditation and if necessary, the other documents concerning the sphere of activity of the conformity assessment body (testing and calibration laboratory) can also be required.